2016 Very, Very, Short, Short Stories Contest!!
Welcome to the the 2016 Very, Very, Short, Short Stories Contest! We're excited to announce that this year we are partnering with the inestimable podcast, KCRW's The Organist. This year's winners will be featured in the forthcoming season of The Organist. Winners will also receive a free artistic interpretation of their work from artist Cal Tabuena-Frolli, a copy of Hindenburg Journalist Pro and $200. Deadline is Monday, November 21st at midnight EST.
(Note: Pieces MUST be between 1-3 minutes long.)
You have three rules to follow, all thought up by members of the Sarah Lawrence College writing department faculty. They include: dialogue that must be used in the story, a sound that must be used in the story, and a narrative constraint that must be used in the story. Choose ONE author for each entry. (However you can enter as many times as you wish).
- Dialogue: "It's a strange kind of justice."
- Sound: Whispering
- Narrative: Include the color green.
- Dialogue: "The dog you know you are has mange."
- Sound: A stomach growling
- Narrative: A woman opens a high-end shoe store in a town with 80% unemployment.
- Dialogue: "Do one thing for a person, and he think he owes you; do everything for a person, and he thinks you owe him."
- Sound: Cicadas whirring
- Narrative: The action takes place during the hottest summer on record.
- Dialogue: "But I got lost in the graveyard."
- Sound: A baby crying.
- Narrative: The setting must be a locale where either salt or sugar is produced.
- Dialogue: "The animals kept arriving."
- Sound: Knives being sharpened.
- Narrative: Someone dies from suffocation.
And More Rules...
- Stories must be between 1-3 minutes.
- Stories must be uploaded as either an MP3 or a .Wav file.
- You can enter as many times as you like, however, each story must have the elements from one author--no mixing and matching.
- Stories must include all three elements to be considered as a winner.
- We welcome entries from around the world! However, entries not in English will need a transcript.
- You can work as a team, however, we can only offer 1 piece of artwork and 1 copy of Hindenburg Pro to the winners.
- Deadline is Monday, November 21, 2016 at midnight EST.
- If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com.